Last modified: 06 June 2012
There are many different ways you can use our services. When you share information with us, for example by becoming an AFA client, we can make those services even better – to provide you with more relevant information and service offerings that help you achieve your personal goals and financial objectives more quickly. As you use our services, we want you to be clear how we’re using information and the ways in which you can protect your privacy.
- what information we collect and why we collect it
- how we use that information
- the choices we offer, including how to access and update information.
Your privacy matters to us so whether you are new to us or a long-time client, please take the time to get to know our practices – and if you have any questions, please contact us.
Information we collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our clients – from fulfilling your initial needs to more complex things such as which other services within the AFA Group you’ll find most useful to achieve your personal goals and financial objectives.
We collect information in two ways:
- Information you give us. For example, when you use services, we’ll ask for personal information such as your name, email address, telephone number or
- Information we get from your use of our services. We may collect information about the services that you use and how you use them.
Information we collect includes Product/ Service information. When you use our services, we may automatically collect and store certain information. This may include:
- details of how you used our service, such as your search queries
- telephony log information like your phone number, dates of calls and duration of calls
- internet protocol address
- unique identification numbers.
Certain services involve a unique identification number. This number and the information about you it relates to (for example, products and services tied to the identification number) may be sent to the AFA Group when you use that service or when that service periodically contacts our servers, such as for automatic updates.
How we use information we collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect our clients.
We may use the name you provide for your AFA Group profile across all of the services we offer. In addition, we may replace past names associated with your AFA Group profile so that you are represented consistently across all our services.
When you contact the AFA Group, we may keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your contact details to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other AFA Group members. We will not combine sensitive information with personally identifiable information unless we have your opt-in consent.
Transparency and choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used. For example, you can:
- review and control certain types of information tied to your AFA Group profile by submitting a request in writing to the privacy officer or by email to [email protected]
- control who you share information with
- take information out of many of our services
- access and update your personal information.
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes.
When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on archived files older than 7 years).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so for free, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active files and may not remove information from our archived systems.
Information we share
We do not share personal information with companies, organisations and individuals outside of the AFA Group unless one of the following circumstances apply:
With your consent. We will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Google when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- For legal reasons. We will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of the AFA Group if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request
- enforce applicable terms of service, including investigation of potential violations
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
In addition, we may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – such as publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect the AFA Group and our users from unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- we review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorised access to systems.
- we restrict access to personal information to employees of the AFA Group, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
Empowering you – the AFA way
At AFA, we’re committed to helping everyday Australians achieve their financial objectives – an ethos that has earned us the trust of thousands of clients.